Bible Verse of the Month

Bible Verse of the Month: Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that
he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Favorite Natural Cold Remedies

Behold, I have a cold!  (Wow, big surprise;)  So guess what?  I thought while I was sitting on the couch wrapped up and feeling blah, I would study up on, and share some natural remedies I like to use (when I feel blah) with you!  


Now I'm sure most of us have heard of rest, broth, steam, eating fresh fruits and vegetables, keeping warm, vitamin C, and the usual remedies, so I won't be going into those.  

Only eight of the slightly less known ones that I'm using RIGHT NOW!

(I am not a doctor.  These suggestions are based on my own personal experience with the common cold and are not meant to be taken as medical advice.  Please check with your doctor before taking or using any herbs or supplements.  Thank you:)  


1.  Apple Cider Vinegar

2.  Cinnamon & honey

3.  Peppermint tea

4.  Chamomile tea

5.  Ginger Tea

6.  Ginger Apple Juice

7.  A favorite book, movie, or TV show

8.  Prayer :)

1.  Apple Cider Vinegar can be effective with sore throats, coughs, headaches, indigestion, nasal congestion, mild depression, skin problems, hydration, and it fights bacteria, among a long list of benefits!

You can drink a teaspoon or two in a glass of water once to three times daily for your health, and as a preventative.  I've only started taking it since my cold, and it's helped tremendously!

2.  Cinnamon is antiviral, and antibiotic.  When mixed with a spoonful of raw honey, it makes a fabulous cough syrup!  (My Dad practically swears by the stuff.)

From what I've read it is also supposed to help with congestion, and lower a fever.

3.  Peppermint tea is antiviral, and antimicrobial.  It helps with digestion, sore throat, lowers fever, and loosens mucus.  Plus breathing in the steam can help clear your airways.  

I also like to drink it for allergies, and breathing in the essential oil is great for allergies too.

4.  Chamomile tea is so soothing and delightful.  It is a very relaxing tea, (I like chamomile with lavender) and I drink almost every night before bed to help me sleep. 

It reduces fever or inflammation, regulates hormones, and promotes a good night's sleep.  Plus it has a light, slightly sweet flavor!

5.  Ginger can be effective against congestion, inflammation, digestion, and sinus symptoms.  

I like to drink it as a tea with a little honey stirred in, but it can also be cooked in soup.  (I wouldn't recommend it raw)

6.  Ginger Apple Juice is a delicious right before bed drink that I found helped sooth my cough, and sleep better because of it.  

I warm a mugful of apple juice, and while it is heating in the pot, I swish around a ginger tea bag in it, taking it out when the juice is ready.  The result is sweet and spicy!

7.   A favorite book, movie, or TV show may not sound like a remedy, but if you are completely miserable and have tried everything, the distraction is most welcome.  

By taking your mind off of how you feel, it can actually help you feel a bit better!

8.  Prayer always helps!  God is always listening, and even if He doesn't choose to remove the cup (cold) He will comfort!  Remember, even the tiniest trials have a purpose.

I hope you don't have a cold, (honestly!) but if you do, you might like to try some of my favorite remedies!  I'm feeling better already, and hope to be out and about soon.

Blessings!

- Mallory


 
P.S.

Remember where I mentioned rest?  I think I'll take some of my own advice.  
A nap sounds wonderful right about now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that broth picture you have here looks soo delicious :) a few months ago I suffered from a really really bad cold, I felt horrible, the worst cold ever, my body ache, my face was kind of swollen and my head was exploding. It lasted 5 days so I saturated my body with lots of vitamins and hot spicy peppers and that was my cure!! But I ended with a bad stomach problem :) Thanks for sharing !!

    Blessings
    ~Laura~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom made that soup, and it was as good as it looks! I am all better now, just getting my strength back:)

    Yikes on the stomach problem! If I were you I'd take good care of it. I once had a "stomach problem" that turned into severe acid re-flux. (My mom blames it on the spicy chili I ate)

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts