Bible Verse of the Month

Bible Verse of the Month: Hebrews 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that
he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Language of Flowers



Antique Postcard Language of Flowers  Poem by postcardsintheattic, $5.95 on EtsyIn the old days flowers weren't given just because they were pretty.  They were also often used to send messages, usually to a sweetheart, but sometimes to a sister, mother, or friend.

A gentleman might arrange a nosegay of various flowers to describe his feelings, declare his love, or apologize.  


Since it is the Month of February (Month of Love) and Valentines Day is this weekend, I thought I would share a few of the meanings with you!  

(Okay, more than a few;)


Acacia: Friendship


Aster: Always merry


Balm: Sympathy


Bluebell: True and tender


Camellia: Beautiful but cold


Carnation White: Purity


Carnation Red: My heart is broken


Chrysanthemum: Hope springs eternal


Clematis: Beautiful thoughts


Columbine: Bound to win


Dahlia: Gracious


Daisy: Innocence


Fern: Sincerity


Forgetmenot: Forget not me


Fuchsia: Fickleness


Geranium: Warm regard


Heather: I am lonely


Honeysuckle: Devotion


Hyacinth: Hard fate


Iris: Have faith in me


Ivy: I cling


Jasmine: Friends only


Lavender: Sweets to the sweet


Lilac: Unadorned beauty


Lily: Austere purity


Lily of the Valley: Doubly dear


Marigold: Honesty


Orange Blossom: Happiness in marriage


Pansy: My thoughts are with you


Petunia: I believe in thee


Poppy: Forgetfulness


Primrose: Do not be bashful


Rose Red: Love


Rose White: Worthy of love


Rose Yellow: Why waneth love?


Rosemary: Remembrance


Sweet Pea: I long for thee


Tulip: Unrequited love


Violet: Modesty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts